Monday, November 8, 2010

"A Symbol of our Soldiers" Veterans Day 2010

I am reminded of all my family and friends who so courageously served in the military. I captured an image last year in Los Angeles that I have since given to many servicemen, servicewomen and their families as a thank you. This photograph has taken on a life of it's own as people embrace what it represents to them.  This is the story of"A Symbol of our Soldiers."

 On October 20, 2009 I was out in the afternoon with camera in tow, looking for inspiration. Photographers do that a lot. While shooting some colorful leaves that had fallen, I looked behind me and saw the American flag.  It struck me how beautiful the flag looked back lite by the sun.  But even more poignant, more emotional, was the fact that this once intact symbol of American pride was now torn. Like the men and women who pledge their lives in service to our country, yet return emotionally and physically damaged, this flag is truly a Symbol of our Soldiers!  I can only hope that this Image Art stands as a reminder to us all, the price that is often paid by our precious military and their families.  Thank You, Thank You for your Service!

1 comment:

A Proud Father said...

I have seen this photograph before and I agree it speaks loudly in sky. It is inappropriate to fly an American flag in a state of disrepair. It is supposed to be properly destroyed and a new one fly in its stead. But as you say, our country has taken quite a battering as of late. Internal conflict and foreign threats. Our men and women in uniform will take care of the later as they always have. While this nation does not have the stomach for war, it does have the might and the will, to meet its enemies when no alternative remains. My son fought in Iraq, and I, along with you, and with so many millions of other Americans, am grateful for his personal sacrifice. For the sacrifice of those who came before him, like the distinguished gentleman, also featured on this blog. Our flag is merely a sewen piece of fabric, nothing more. But when flown in the sky it speaks of a people for whom it represents, it is a symbol of a great nation undivided, it speaks of honor and courage. This particular flag speaks of weary times. Times not unknown by our country. Our country has known times of challenge before, and as before, we will emerge a stronger and more united state. Thank you for such an iconic photograph, and for the legacy of contributions to this nation your own personal family has made. A proud father.